About the Information We Collect
DCD strives to limit the information we collect to that which we require to safeguard the School and our community, maximize students’ educational experience at DCD, communicate with our community, and keep our community connected with each other. We also collect information to manage our business effectively. We endeavor to only collect information that we believe is reasonably necessary to achieve the purpose for which the information is collected.
The information you provide to us and the information we need to process varies depending on your relationship to the School and the School-related activities in which you are involved. You may choose to provide personal information directly to us, such as your name, mailing address, email address, phone number, date of birth, credit/debit card number, and other information, as specified below, for purposes of:
- Subscribing to School communications.
- Applying to, enrolling in, and attending the School and School-sponsored activities and programs (which, in addition to the information described above, may include providing us with biographical information, family information, education history, qualifications, and other information).
- Accessing our family portal.
- Complying with a financial obligation to DCD, such as paying tuition.
- Maintaining alumni connections with the DCD community.
- Making a donation to DCD.
- Registering to attend or volunteer at School-sponsored events and activities.
- Responding to a job posting, applying to, and working at the School (which, in addition to the information described above, may include providing us with biographical information, employment history, qualifications and credentials, and other information).
- Renting or requesting permission to use DCD’s facilities.
- Submitting an inquiry, question, or request.
Our systems may also collect information automatically about your browser or mobile device. This information may include an IP address, browser type or mobile device information, or geolocation, as well as how our site is being used, the pages visited, and the search terms entered.
If you choose not to provide information, we may be limited in our ability to provide you with the requested information or services.
How We Use Your Information
We may use personal data for the following purposes, consistent with your engagement with the School:
- To provide information about our programs and services.
- To evaluate applicants for admission to DCD.
- To enter into an enrollment contract with the School.
- To communicate with our students and their families about all student-related matters and to otherwise support our students while enrolled at the School.
- To help connect our community members with each other which may include current families, past families and alumni.
- To track individual and aggregate data as required by applicable law.
- To communicate school news, events, and fundraising opportunities.
- To solicit volunteers and donations.
- To process payment for a donation or financial obligation to DCD.
- To evaluate candidates for employment at DCD.
- To respond to an inquiry, question, or request submitted to the School.
- For other reasons, with your consent.
We may use non-personal data for systems administration and security purposes, as well as to analyze trends, track users’ movement, gather broad demographic information for aggregate use to help us improve the site and deliver customized, personalized content. We may use geographic, demographic, and interest-based reports of our website visitors to create custom audience lists. This data is used in aggregate and does not contain personally identifiable information. We do not link IP addresses to any personal information.
Sharing Your Information
Please note that we may use or disclose personal data if we reasonably believe that it is necessary to protect the rights and safety of the School, our community, or others; to prevent fraud or abuse; and to comply with a law enforcement investigation, a legal proceeding or court order, or as otherwise required by law.
Cookies and Interest-Based Advertising
Cookies and similar technology may be used to enhance your experience of our site. Cookies are pieces of information that we transfer to your computer or mobile device through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and to provide features such as remembering your customized settings for viewing our site and saving your password. You may control how cookies are used through the preferences on your web browser.
Communications from DCD
If at any time you wish to adjust or limit the ways in which DCD contacts you, you may contact us at email@example.com or, if you have a School account, you can manage your communication preferences in the School’s portal under the Notifications setting.
Accessing, Updating, and Retaining Information
You may request that we modify, hide, or delete personal information that you have provided to us by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We retain personal information only as long as it is necessary to fulfill the purpose for which that information was collected, for the time period required by law, or as long as is necessary for our legitimate business purposes.
European Union Residents
DCD will processes data only (1) with your consent; (2) to perform a contract between you and the School; (3) to comply with a legal obligation; (4) where it is necessary to protect someone’s life; (5) to perform a task in the public interest; or (6) where DCD has a legitimate interest to do so, balancing this interest against your interests and fundamental rights. If you reside in an European Union member state, you may exercise your Personal Data rights under GDPR by emailing us at email@example.com. Specifically you may have the following rights subject to the exceptions allowed by law:
- To access your information.
- To rectify or update your information.
- To erase your information, subject to our need to retain certain information for legal or other purposes.
- To receive a copy of your information.
- To object to or restrict processing of your information.
We maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect your personal information. When we collect or transmit sensitive information, such as a credit or debit card number, we use industry-standard methods to protect that information. Credit and debit card information is used solely for the purpose of completing a specific transaction and such information is not retained in our database.
We also protect account information by storing it on a secure portion of our site that is only accessible by authorized individuals. Unfortunately, no website, database, or system is completely secure. While the School strives to protect your information, we cannot guarantee security. You are also responsible for taking reasonable steps to protect your personal information against unauthorized disclosure or misuse.
Changes to This Policy
Dedham Country Day School
Attention: Marketing and Communications Department
90 Sandy Valley Road
Dedham, MA 02026
Effective: April 20, 2021
Last Updated: April 20, 2021