At DCD, giving back is part of growing.
The way children treat their world outside of DCD is very much a part of what they learn here. In fact, part of our mission is to “inspire students to become caring, ethical members of the larger world by emphasizing thoughtful citizenship and respect for self and others.”
For more than a century, our school has served the community at large by building relationships with people and organizations beyond the borders of our campus. Students in every grade participate in age-appropriate service work and in Middle School, students take the lead in developing and carrying out their own projects. Through our service-learning program and the daily examples set by our teachers, students see firsthand how important and fulfilling it is to help others in the community.
Service Learning Joins Students, Faculty, and Parents Together
DCD’s past service-learning projects have included:
- Cradles to Crayons Community Donation and Sorting
- Biscuits, Blankets and A Community Fun Run for the Animal Rescue League, Dedham
- Knitting hats and scarves for “Operation Gratitude”, an organization that supports the military and first responders.
- Gift Bags and Bookmark Project to Benefit the Italian Home for Children
- Hale Reservation Clean Up
- Nameplates for The Charles River Center
- Nothing But Nets Malaria Awareness Event
- Oxfam Fast
- Game Afternoons at the Linden Senior home in Dedham
- Walk-A-Thon to Support The Children’s Hospital League of Boston
- Letter Writing for the Wounded Warriors: Operation Gratitude Project
- Recording Books on CD for Boston area children in underserved communities
- Thanksgiving Basket Bread Baking and Drive in partnership with the Dedham Youth Commission
- Coloring Books to Benefit The Children’s’ Pediatric Ward at MGH
- Car Wash by Grade 3 to Benefit DCD Horizons
- Birthday Bags for the Walker School