General Music Teacher and Choral Director
Dedham Country Day School (DCD) seeks a well-qualified General Music Teacher and Choral Director to join the robust faculty in our Pre-Kindergarten to grade 8 community for the 2019-20 school year. The successful candidate will have experience teaching in a pre-kindergarten to grade eight setting with particular emphasis on Pre-Kindergarten to grade two general music and middle school and upper elementary chorus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach the general music program for students in Pre-K through grade two and develop the curriculum as needed
- Provide leadership as the Lower School and Middle School Choral Director
- Provide musical direction in support of class plays for students in in Pre-K through grade two
- Lead the school’s community singing
- Present students’ work throughout the year in performance and participate in the Halloween Assembly, Thanksgiving Assembly, Holiday Assembly, and annual spring arts assemblies
- Care for and maintain the appropriate equipment and studio spaces
- Compose formal comments on each student at the conclusion of each term
- Participate in team meetings for grades and divisions, regular faculty/staff meetings, and professional development opportunities
- Provide weekly coverage for recess and lunch duties
Strong candidates will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in music (master’s preferred) and several years of related experience
- Strong vocal and instrumental skills, with an understanding of piano preferred
- Experience building an inclusive environment and an awareness of anti-bias teaching practices
- Knowledge of age-appropriate music curriculum and pedagogy, and child development
- A willingness to integrate academic technology into the classroom experience
- An understanding that DCD values the work ethic and creativity inherent in being an artist and values the modeling of artistic expression.
- A sense of humor and a willingness to be part of a collaborative team
School Mission and Philosophy:
DCD is proud to offer an educational experience that:
- Provides to each child a unique educational balance of challenging academics, arts, and athletics;
- Embraces an inclusive interdependent community of students, teachers, and parents that fosters trust and encourages children to take risks;
- Creates independent, resilient, lifelong learners through engaging, developmentally based teaching designed to meet varied learning styles; and
- Inspires students to become caring, ethical members of the larger world by emphasizing thoughtful citizenship and respect for self and others.
Dedham Country Day School provides a competitive salary and benefits plan. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Katie Ouellette, Special Assistant to the Head of School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dedham Country Day School is an independent, coeducational Pre-Kindergarten - Grade 8 school located just west of Boston in Dedham MA. DCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability.