Horizons Program Director
Horizons at DCD is seeking a Program Director to manage all aspects of the summer and year-round education programs. Working closely with the Executive Director, the Program Director will ensure high-quality, effectively run programs for all grade levels and will play a key role in building a new high school program. The Program Director will be responsible for building strong relationships with Horizons students, families, staff, and volunteers, as well as partners in the Boston and Dedham public schools. As part of a small team, the Program Director will also participate in a variety of administrative activities.
This position offers a fantastic growth opportunity for an individual with strong program management skills and a passion for closing the opportunity and achievement gaps for students in Greater Boston. The Program Director will benefit from the mentoring and guidance of the Executive Director, and with success in the role, will be supported in taking on new levels of responsibility as an organizational leader.
Horizons at Dedham Country Day School (DCD) is an award-winning program that helps build brighter futures for low-income children in the Greater Boston area. Modeled after the national Horizons Student Enrichment Program, Horizons’ intensive six-week summer program is designed to prevent summer decline in academic performance and close the opportunity and achievement gaps. The program begins in prekindergarten and serves its students throughout their educational careers, helping them build skills and self-confidence and realize their full potential through a unique blend of academic and cultural and recreational enrichment activities. Additionally, Horizons provides direct, individualized academic support and tutoring to its students throughout the year. Working in partnership with Horizons families, sending schools in Dedham and Boston, and the host school, Horizons at DCD is committed to developing the whole child and offers activities that promote higher-level thinking and perspective, leadership development and boost self-efficacy – all while raising student aspirations and expectations for their lives.
Horizons will serve approximately 150 students in the summer of 2019, from prekindergarten through eighth grade and will continue to grow through the development of a high school program. For more information about Horizons, please visit www.horizonsgreaterboston.org. Responsibilities
- Manage all student recruitment and retention activities related to both summer and academic year programming, interacting with school staff and parents as necessary
- Lead the ongoing development and implementation of Horizons’ high school program
- Execute on all aspects of Horizons’ 6-week summer program, including:
- Collaborating with the Summer Academic Coordinator on program curriculum and support for and management of teaching staff
- Training and supervising program volunteers
- Planning off-campus trips and on-campus enrichment programming
- Oversee programming and staffing for tutoring and Saturday sessions during the academic year
- Develop and coordinate Family events and outreach
- Participate in Board and Program Committee meetings
- Support the Executive Director and Development Committee on fundraising initiatives, including:
- Activities associated with fundraising events
- Maintenance and reporting on the donor database
- Assistance with the application process for grants
- Coordinate public relations and marketing activities and materials to strengthen relationships with DCD and the broader Greater Boston community
- Coordinate with Boston and Dedham Public Schools on all aspects of admissions, record-keeping, reporting, evaluation, and follow-up
- Maintain all program records in the required database systems
- At least three years of professional experience, with prior success in program management roles, preferably in an organization with a focus on education, children, youth, or families
- Excellent interpersonal skills, cultural competency, and demonstrated ability to build and sustain positive and respectful relationships
- Passionate commitment to ensuring success for all students and closing the achievement and opportunity gaps
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with the ability to balance multiple priorities
- Ability to thrive within a small team environment and work collaboratively or independently as needed, with high degrees of personal initiative and accountability
Prior experience in any of the following areas will be considered a plus:
- Supporting fundraising events and activities
- Managing social media and other marketing activities
- Supervising staff
- Collaborating with a Board of Directors or similar entity
Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, in PDF or Word format, addressed to Meredith Laban at email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Horizons at Dedham Country Day School offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
Horizons at Dedham Country Day School is an equal opportunity employer.