Dedham Country Day School (DCD) seeks a well-qualified full-time Woodworking Teacher to join the robust faculty in our Pre-Kindergarten to grade 8 community for the 2019-20 school year.
At DCD, our children develop a willingness to try, an ability to do, and a drive to care. We strive to provide a multicultural and anti-bias education which celebrates the diversity of our community and prepares with the skills they need to connect and thrive in our diverse world. We believe that a broad range of experiences and viewpoints enhances learning and enriches life for students and faculty alike. We strongly encourage applications from people of color or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools, and are committed to an inclusive school experience for all who work at DCD. Additionally, DCD places a high value on the professional growth of all faculty and staff and provides outstanding opportunities for individual professional development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach woodworking to students in Pre-Kindergarten to grade eight and develop the curriculum as needed
- Provide technical knowledge and stress the importance of process in crafting works in wood
- Present students’ work throughout the year, and participate in the annual spring Arts assemblies
- Develop woodworking traditions and share both historical and innovative experiences
- Communicate effectively (in person and in writing) with parents
- Compose formal comments on each student at the conclusion of each term
- Participate in team meetings for grades and divisions, regular faculty/staff meetings, and professional development opportunities
- Take part in the school community as a contributing member, such as through committee work, duties, etc.
- Provide weekly coverage for recess and lunch duties
Strong candidates will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in woodworking (master’s preferred), significant experience as a woodworker/artisan and several years of related work experience
- A passion for the use of hand tools in crafting meaningful pieces
- A deep knowledge of best practices for safely utilizing the appropriate heavy machinery (e.g. table saw, band saw, lathe and other power tools)
- Experience building an inclusive environment and an awareness of anti-bias teaching practices
- Knowledge of age-appropriate woodworking curriculum and pedagogy, and child development
- An openness to integrate academic technology into the classroom experience
- An understanding that DCD values the work ethic and creativity inherent in being an artist and values the modeling of artistic expression.
- A sense of humor and a willingness to be part of a collaborative team
School Mission and Philosophy:
DCD is proud to offer an educational experience that:
- Provides to each child a unique educational balance of challenging academics, arts, and athletics;
- Embraces an inclusive interdependent community of students, teachers, and parents that fosters trust and encourages children to take risks;
- Creates independent, resilient, lifelong learners through engaging, developmentally based teaching designed to meet varied learning styles; and
- Inspires students to become caring, ethical members of the larger world by emphasizing thoughtful citizenship and respect for self and others.
Dedham Country Day School provides a competitive salary and benefits plan. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Katie Ouellette, Special Assistant to the Head of School at email@example.com.
Dedham Country Day School is an independent, coeducational Pre-Kindergarten - Grade 8 school located just west of Boston in Dedham MA. DCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability.