Part-time (75%) Instrumental Music Teacher
Dedham Country Day School (DCD) seeks a well-qualified Instrumental Music Teacher to join the robust faculty in our pre-kindergarten to grade 8 community for the 2019-20 school year. The successful candidate will have experience teaching in a pre-kindergarten to grade eight setting with particular emphasis on grade three to grade five general music and lower school and middle school band. This is a part-time position (75%).
At DCD, our children develop a willingness to try, an ability to do, and a drive to care. We strive to provide a multicultural and anti-bias education which celebrates the diversity of our community and prepares children with the skills they need to connect and thrive in our diverse world. We strongly encourage applications from people of color or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools, and are committed to an inclusive school experience for all who work at DCD. Additionally, DCD places a high value on the professional growth of all faculty and staff and provides outstanding opportunities for individual professional development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach the general music program for students in grade three through grade five and develop the curriculum as needed
- Provide leadership as the Lower School and Middle School Band Director
- Provide musical direction in support of class plays for students in grades three through five
- Teach in our middle school arts program
- Present students’ work throughout the year in performance and participate in the Thanksgiving Assembly, Holiday Assembly, and annual spring arts assemblies
- Care for and maintain the appropriate equipment and studio spaces
- Compose formal comments on each student at the conclusion of each term
- Participate in team meetings for grades and divisions, regular faculty/staff meetings, and professional development opportunities
- Provide weekly coverage for recess and lunch duties
Strong candidates will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in music (master’s preferred) and several years of related experience
- Strong instrumental skills, with an understanding of how to play and teach a wide variety of instruments
- Experience building an inclusive environment and an awareness of anti-bias teaching practices
- Knowledge of age-appropriate music curriculum and pedagogy, and child development
- A willingness to integrate academic technology into the classroom experience
- An understanding that DCD values the work ethic and creativity inherent in being an artist and values the modeling of artistic expression.
- A sense of humor and a willingness to be part of a collaborative team
School Mission and Philosophy:
DCD is proud to offer an educational experience that:
- Provides to each child a unique educational balance of challenging academics, arts, and athletics;
- Embraces an inclusive interdependent community of students, teachers, and parents that fosters trust and encourages children to take risks;
- Creates independent, resilient, lifelong learners through engaging, developmentally based teaching designed to meet varied learning styles; and
- Inspires students to become caring, ethical members of the larger world by emphasizing thoughtful citizenship and respect for self and others.
Dedham Country Day School provides a competitive salary and benefits plan. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Katie Ouellette, Special Assistant to the Head of School at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dedham Country Day School is an independent, coeducational Pre-Kindergarten - Grade 8 school located just west of Boston in Dedham MA. DCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability.